John Hall, the first settler in this area, constructed a dam and sawmill here in 1830. A grist-mill, added later, was removed in 1883 during the construction of the Buckhorn locks. These millstones were recovered from rubble near the site of the grist-mill. Erected in 1993 by The Greater Harvey Historical Society in co-operation with the Trent-Severn Waterway.

Did You Know?

  • That, the Mississauga Indian along with a number of other tribes used the lakes and streams in the area as a means of transportation and a source for food through fishing. The 20′ high rock, located near the bridge on the shores of Buckhorn rapids, known as “Council Rock” is believed to be the site of Indian Council meetings.

  • That, in 1839, Buckhorn’s population was 50.

  • That, lumbering was a chief export industry with a number of mills built in the area producing squared timbers, ship’s masts, shingles, barrels etc. These products were transported via the inland waterways to Quebec for shipment to Great Britain and Europe. A large portion was also shipped down the Erie Canal (opened in 1825) to New York.

  • That, there is an historical plaque between Lock31 and the dam honouring John Hall, the first settler of this area (1827), who constructed a dam and sawmill there in 1830. Two millstones, recovered from the rubble near the site of the original mill, are on display.

  • Look for the stone with the square hole. It moved while the other remained stationary during the grinding of grains into flour.

  • That, John Hall became the first postmaster, and for matters of the Royal Mail, the settlement was named “Hall’s Bridge”. However, John Hall’s collection of deer antlers, which he displayed on the outside walls of his mills, which gave rise to the name Buckhorn. It wasn’t until 1936 the hamlet became officially recognized as by its present name.

  • That, John Hall died in1883 at the age of 96 years, but not before he gave every female in Hall’s Bridge (Buckhorn) a plot of land to build a home in order to encourage the continuing growth of the hamlet.

  • That, Harvey Township (Ward) was named after Sir John Harvey who gained notoriety in the War of 1812 and later became the Governer of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia & Newfoundland.

  • That, a little way down Adam & Eve Road, on the north side, you will see 2 large glacial rocks. Folklore has it that if a young couple can hold hands and each touch one of the rocks, their lives will be blessed.

  • That, folklore tells a story about beautiful Sandy Lake, also known as “Lake of Spirits”. In the south bay, visible from Lakehurst Road is a large, heart shaped rock known as the “Giants Heart”. There on calm days, ripples form over the rock formation, causing it to look as though the “Heart” is beating. This lake is land locked and has no feeder river. But water flows out of the lake and down Sandy Creek to Buckhorn Lake. Where does this water come from?